Resonance Artistic Challenge
"Resonance ~ an evening of Art Inspiring Art" was created by artists in an assortment of genres finding inspiration from each others' creations. Join us in this cycle of Art Inspiring Art by using different aspects of the show to inspire your own:
- Visual art (paintings/drawings)
- Poetry/Creative Writing
- Movement Sequence or
- Sound or Music Composition
For the first prompt, we're filming original kinetic sculpture by Richard Swanson and providing the following prompts:
- What do the sculptures make you think of? or What do they look like?
- How do they make you feel?
- What would it be like to move on them or around them?
Share your work on Instagram with #ResonanceInspired, upload using the button below, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Check back often and follow #ResonanceInspired on Instagram to get more artistic prompts from a variety of genres.
Submit your work!
Share your dance, music, visual art, writing and all other artistic inspirations here! Please include your first and last name in your file name so we can make sure to give you the recognition you deserve!
Welcome to Resonance ~ an evening of Art Inspiring Art
With dance and sculpture at its core, Resonance is a multi-faceted project incorporating original works from collaborating artists inspired by and in response to one or more of the other art pieces created during the project. This thrilling multi-media performance combines the kinetic sculptures of nationally recognized metal artist Richard Swanson with live music, dancing, poetry, and painting. Resonance features contributions from best-selling author Tyler Knott Gregson, visiting percussionist J Stuart Smith, Portland, Maine based visual artist Matt Plaumann, and CDP choreographers Tanya Call, Amber Moon Peterson and Julynn Wilderson. Resonance is performed by professional dancers from across Montana joined by local community dancers and musicians incorporated into the show. In addition to the performance, Resonance engages students around Montana through School Residencies, leading students on a journey of creating their own art inspired by art.
Premiered at the Myrna Loy Center in Helena, MT in 2018, Resonance is a multi-faceted production that includes:
- An evening-length performance of dance, music, poetry, painting & sculpture touring to venues across Montana
- A school outreach residency that brings poetry, painting, and music & dance composition to students in touring and surrounding rural communities
- A community master class bringing dancers around the state a modern-based class featuring original choreography from Resonance
One of the underlying themes of Resonance~ an evening of Art Inspiring Art is that one art medium can inspire creation in another art medium. We challenged our artists to contribute original pieces of work inspired by other aspects of the project being created. The idea was that then it might facilitate or inspire them to create new work beyond just Resonance, creating a ripple effect of art inspiring art, inspiring their network of supporters and audiences to reach outside of their comfort zones and try something new.
We have translated this idea into our school residency program where we work with the school kids and introduce them to the various art mediums that were incorporated into this project like visual art and painting, creative writing and poetry, movement creation and sound composition to help them see how creating in one art medium can inspire creation in another art medium.
The evening length production of Resonance is a really exciting performance. It incorporates the sculptures along with poetry and spoken word, visual art projected on the screen, live music, original compositions, as well as original choreography and dancing by eleven professional and community dancers.
Learn More About:
Donate to Resonance!
Your charitable contribution to Resonance helps us bring excellence in art to the community though performances and outreach!
Collaborating artists for our 2018 production include:
- Nationally recognized Metal Sculpture and Clay Artist - Richard Swanson
- Best-selling Author, Photographer, and Poet - Tyler Knott Gregson
- Visiting Percussionist/Dance Accompanist - J Stuart Smith
- Accomplished local Violinist - Matt Bugni
- Visual Artists - Matt Plaumann and Nicole Woody
- Cohesion Artist-in-Residence - Amber Moon Peterson
- Additional Choreography by Julynn Wilderson and Tanya Call
- And local and state-wide dancers