Welcome to Resonance ~ an evening of Art Inspiring Art
With dance and sculpture at its core, Resonance is a multi-faceted project incorporating original works from collaborating artists inspired by and in response to one or more of the other art pieces created during the project. This thrilling multi-media performance combines the kinetic sculptures of nationally recognized metal artist Richard Swanson with live music, dancing, poetry, and painting. Resonance features contributions from best-selling author Tyler Knott Gregson, visiting percussionist J Stuart Smith, Portland, Maine based visual artist Matt Plaumann, and CDP choreographers Tanya Call, Amber Moon Peterson and Julynn Wilderson. Resonance is performed by professional dancers from across Montana joined by local community dancers and musicians incorporated into the show. In addition to the performance, Resonance engages students around Montana through School Residencies, leading students on a journey of creating their own art inspired by art.
Resonance ~ an evening of Art Inspiring Art in Great Falls
Friday, May 31 at 7:30 at the Mansfield Theater in Great Falls, Montana. Tickets are $22 general admission and $18 for students with ID.
Premiered at the Myrna Loy Center in Helena, MT in 2018, Resonance is a multi-faceted production that includes:
- An evening-length performance of dance, music, poetry, painting & sculpture touring to venues across Montana
- A school outreach residency that brings poetry, painting, and music & dance composition to students in touring and surrounding rural communities
- A community master class bringing dancers around the state a modern-based class featuring original choreography from Resonance
Click here for a transcript of this video
One of the underlying themes of Resonance~ an evening of Art Inspiring Art is that one art medium can inspire creation in another art medium. We challenged our artists to contribute original pieces of work inspired by other aspects of the project being created. The idea was that then it might facilitate or inspire them to create new work beyond just Resonance, creating a ripple effect of art inspiring art, inspiring their network of supporters and audiences to reach outside of their comfort zones and try something new.
We have translated this idea into our school residency program where we work with the school kids and introduce them to the various art mediums that were incorporated into this project like visual art and painting, creative writing and poetry, movement creation and sound composition to help them see how creating in one art medium can inspire creation in another art medium.
The evening length production of Resonance is a really exciting performance. It incorporates the sculptures along with poetry and spoken word, visual art projected on the screen, live music, original compositions, as well as original choreography and dancing by eleven professional and community dancers.
Learn More About:
Donate to Resonance!
Your charitable contribution to Resonance helps us bring excellence in art to the community though performances and outreach!
Collaborating artists for our 2018 production include:
- Nationally recognized Metal Sculpture and Clay Artist - Richard Swanson
- Best-selling Author, Photographer, and Poet - Tyler Knott Gregson
- Visiting Percussionist/Dance Accompanist - J Stuart Smith
- Accomplished local Violinist - Matt Bugni
- Visual Artists - Matt Plaumann and Nicole Woody
- Cohesion Artist-in-Residence - Amber Moon Peterson
- Additional Choreography by Julynn Wilderson and Tanya Call
- And local and state-wide dancers